New Braunfels Mattress Co. began in the 1920's as DeLong Bedding. Mattresses were repaired or made at the corner of Mather and Washington streets in Comal Town in New Braunfels. Customers would bring in their mattresses stuffed with horse hair or cotton for repair and pick up later that day. In 1928, a new manufacturing building was opened on Old Highway 81 where mattresses were made on site and sold next door. Through the years the company has seen the evolution of mattresses while the business integrity has been preserved. The current main store in New Braunfels opened in 2000. This fully stocked showroom and warehouse is the most complete store of its kind anywhere.